Last week while I was at Costco, I impulsively bought a large bag of lemons thinking that I could use them all up before they go bad, no problem. After all, lemons last quite some time and are very versatile right? Besides… Costco offered such a great deal, I couldn’t say no!
A week later, one of my lemons already started to mold and some of them were turning soft 🙁 So I panicked and looked up as many lemon recipes as possible to use up as much of my remaining lemons as I could. One that really caught my eye was the Lemon Blueberry Loaf recipe.
I was super excited to make this. For some reason, blueberries and lemon really go well together. Presentation wise, it’s extremely vibrant.
The recipe I followed produced a fairly dense loaf.
It also had a very strong lemon flavour which I personally enjoyed. The original recipe also suggested that I make a sugar glaze to cover the top of the loaf but I didn’t feel it was necessary as I was trying to cut down on the amount of sugar that already went into this recipe.
This would go great with a cup of coffee and I can definitely see myself eating this for breakfast!
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 1 hr
Total: 1 hr 15 mins
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, washed and rolled in flour
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 8×4 inch loaf man with butter or pam.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar, lemon juice and egg until combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredient into the wet ingredients, a third at a time, alternating with milk.
- Gently fold in the blueberries and lemon zest. Pour batter into the loaf pan and bake for 1 hr or until the surface is golden brown and toothpick comes out clean from the centre.
- Set aside to cool. Let it sit overnight in the fridge to set. When ready, remove from the loaf pan, slice, and serve!